Why is Indoor Air Quality Important?
Symptoms depend on the particular contaminant and are sometimes mistaken for allergies, stress, colds or the flu.
Some of the Symptoms of Poor Indoor Air Quality are:
- Watery eyes
- Upper respiratory congestion
- Nasal congestion
- Nose bleeds
- Sore throat
Indoor air quality is affected by anything that releases gas or particles. The most common causes of poor indoor air quality are:
Inadequate ventilation – contaminated air can’t get out, fresh air can’t get in
Unmaintained heating and air conditioning systems
Dampness due to floods, leaks or high humidity – creates mold and bacteria
Occupant activities – cleaning, personal care, construction, smoking
Combustion – burning of some form of fuel
Old/outdated building materials – asbestos, wood treated with formaldehyde
What can you do to Improve the Air Quality in Your Home?
- Use proper ventilation around fuel burning appliances like furnaces, fireplaces, ranges and heaters
- Replace and maintain the air filters in your home
- Control the moisture in your home – use a dehumidifier if necessary and clean your humidifiers and dehumidifiers regularly
- Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Use proper ventilation when cleaning, painting or using harsh chemical products in the home
- Test for Radon
- Don’t smoke inside
- Keep your house clean – wash bedding, use a HEPA vacuum cleaner, and leave shoes at the door
- Leave asbestos to the professionals!
If you have any questions about the air quality in your home and how to improve it please contact us today or request service online.
Need Indoor Air Quality Service?
SunDollar A/C & Heat services Allen, Carrollton, Celina, Coppell, Frisco, Highland Village, Lewisville, Little Elm, McKinney, Plano, Prosper, Richardson, Savannah, The Colony and the surrounding communities with their heating and cooling needs. Visit our service area page for more coverage details, call us at 469-777-0247, or request service online today.